SPICED - Securing the spices and herbs commodity chains
- Natural, accidental or intentional contaminations within the food chain are realistic events and have to be considered together, not individually.
- Measures against intentional attacks need to be based on available (food safety) systems.
- Food safety and food security are still a major concern in many EU member states due to repeated food borne outbreaks and issues caused by contamination.
- The complexity and vulnerability of food supply chains are correlated to available opportunities for pathogen transmission.
- Minor components hold major potential to contaminate a wide range of products in a large-scale distribution area.
Other FP7 EU Projects
The quality and experience of individual participants is of a high level, and with excellent balance among relevant areas of expertise, including spice and herb industry experts.
The proposal is particularly strong in that it has a broad remit from microbial detection to decontamination, which is particularly important when considering spice/herbs that are not further processed before consumption.